Life tables are fundamental in providing a numerical representation of the status changes occurring within a population over time. This tool is generally applied to any demographic phenomenon in which, during a given time period, individuals within a population have a known probability of changing status. Ivie researcher Francisco J. Goerlich and Rafael Pinilla have elaborated the biometric functions of the Life Tables for Spain and its regions, covering the period 1975-2016, as well as their disaggregation by large groups of cause of death. They have also calculated 4 demographic indicators for each year and geographic area:
- Average age of population (AGE)
- Average-age life expectancy (EVA)
- Life potential (PV)
- Life potential per capita (PVC)
The database contains period life tables with annual periods for Spain (complete and abridged by five-year groups up to a final open interval of 110 and over until the year 2011 and from 2012 onwards the final interval is 100 years and over), its autonomous communities (abridged to a final open interval of 100 and over), and provinces (abridged to a final open interval of 85 years and older). The first year is always considered separately. The demographic criterion is residence, and they are always calculated for the total population and each sex separately.
For the population data tables, intercensal estimates are used. In June 2013, data for the 2002-2012 was updated taking into account the intercensal estimates published by the 2011 Census for this period. Thus all tables are final. In February 2018, the demographic data has been updated to 2017 using the population figures.
The data on deaths are from Vital Statistics. The microdata can be downloaded from the INE, and have been classified by age, period, generation (Lexis triangles) and groups of cause of death. The latest data available corresponds to 2016.
Three aspects that distinguish Ivie’s Life table database from INE’s: Ivie’s data is homogeneous since 1975; it is disaggregated by large groups of cause of death; and includes an additional demographic indicator: life potential.
- Tablas de mortalidad para España y sus regiones: 1975-2006
- El potencial de vida y calidad de vida en España en el periodo 1981-1999
- La evolución de la mortalidad, la esperanza de vida y el potencial de vida en España y sus Comunidades Autónomas a los largo del siglo XX. Metodología y base de datos
* The maintenance and updating process of Ivie’s databases is funded by the Valencian Regional Government’s Ministry for Finance and the Economic Model, through the cooperation agreement signed between both institutions to promote and consolidate the Ivie’s basic and applied economic research activities.
Goerlich, F. and Ivie (Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas). Tablas de Mortalidad de España y sus Regiones. Febrero de 2018. Database available at: http://www.ivie.es/bases-de-datos/diferencias-economicas-y-sociales-de-los-territorios/mortalidad/